The set of electronically linked documents that you are currently viewing or reading over the Internet/World Wide Web belong to or were created, posted or otherwise made available by or with the permission of EEI. The contents of all such material located at or available on this Internet site, however referred to (such as TheElectricGeneration.org Internet homepage, Web page, Web site, site, etc.) are copyrighted by EEI unless otherwise indicated. Copyright is not claimed as to any part of an original work prepared by a United States federal or state government officer or employee as part of that person’s official duties. All rights are reserved by EEI, and no content located at or available on this site may be reproduced, downloaded, disseminated, published, or transferred, in any form or by any means, except with the prior written permission of EEI.
Consistent with their membership status and the mission and purpose of EEI, members of EEI and, pursuant to the appropriate Terms and Conditions of Use and/or License Agreement, subscribers to EEI Electric Subscriptions may download content from TheElectricGeneration.org site for their own use on a single computer. However, no part of such content may be otherwise or subsequently reproduced, downloaded, disseminated, published, or transferred, in any form or by any means, except with the prior written permission of EEI.
Last Updated: February 10, 2020
Please see our term glossary for all defined terms in this Policy.
The Edison Electric Institute Inc. (“EEI”, “we”, “group”, “our” or “us”) is a trade association that represents all U.S. investor-owned electric companies, 60 international electric companies, and Associate Members. EEI provides public policy leadership, strategic business intelligence, and essential conferences and forums.
- Children’s Privacy
Our Site is not directed to children under the age of 13. If you are not 13 years or older, please do not use our Site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If we learn that Personal Data of persons less than 13 years of age has been collected through our Site, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated Personal Data to our Site without your Consent, then you may alert us (please see the instructions in number 11 below) so that we may take appropriate action to remove the minor's Personal Data from our systems.
- Types of Personal Data that we may collect about you
Depending on the services you utilize on our Site, we may collect several different kinds of Personal Data about you. This Personal Data falls into the following categories:
- Contact Data: Includes information such as a billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone number.
- Identity Data: Includes information such as a title, first name, last name, username or similar identifier and an encrypted version of your login/password. If you interact with us through social media, this may include your social media username.
- Marketing and Communications: This data includes your preferences in receiving direct-marketing from us and third parties and your communication preferences.
- Profile Data: Includes information such as your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, preferences, feedback and survey responses, as well as any profile data which we have added (for example, using analytics and profiling).
- Technical Data: Includes information such as an internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this Site.
- Transaction Data: Includes information such as details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- How your Personal Data is collected
We may use different methods to collect data from and about you, including the following:
- Automated Technologies or Interactions: As you interact with us, including via the Site, we may automatically collect Technical Data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We may also collect Tracking Data when you use our Site, or when you click on one of our advertisements (including those shown on third-party websites).
- Direct Interactions: You may give us your Identity, Contact and Financial Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or through chat or social media.
- Third Parties or Publicly Available Sources: We may receive Personal Data about you from various types of third parties, including:
- Technical Data and/or Tracking Data from analytics providers, advertising networks and search information providers;
- Contact, Financial, and Transaction Data from providers of payment and fraud prevention services;
- Identity and Contact Data from data partners; and
- Data from any third parties who are permitted by law or have your permission to share your Personal Data with us, such as via social media or review sites.
- EEI may obtain contact details and other personal information regarding media contacts and influencers from a variety of sources, including Cision. If you wish to know more about how such information is collected and used, please refer to Cision’s privacy notice at www.cision.com/us/legal/privacy-policy/.
- Disclosures of your Personal Data to third-parties
We may share Personal Data with the following categories of third parties:
- suppliers and Service Providers (such as technology Service Providers, payment processing and fraud prevention providers, manufacturers and post and courier services);
- auditors and professional advisers (such as bankers, lawyers, accountants and insurers); and
- governments, regulators and law enforcement.
- EEI’s Data Security
We have put in place security measures to prevent your Personal Data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed.
We have put in place procedures to address any suspected third-party Personal Data Breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
- Third-party links on our Site
- EEI’s retention of your data
We will only keep your Personal Data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for and to satisfy any legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
In some circumstances, you can ask us to delete your data; see your legal rights in number 9 and how to exercise your legal rights in number 10 below for further information.
- Your legal rights
You may have rights to have access to your Personal Data and to ask us to rectify, erase and restrict use of, your Personal Data. You may also have rights to object to your Personal Data being used, to ask for the transfer of Personal Data you have made available to us and to withdraw Consent to the use of your Personal Data. You may have the following legal rights listed below.
- Right of Subject Access: The right to make a written request for details of your Personal Data and a copy of that Personal Data.
- Right to Rectification: The right to have inaccurate information about you corrected or removed.
- Right to Erasure ('Right to Be Forgotten'): Under Article 17 of the GDPR, Data Subjects have the right to have Personal Data erased. This is also known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. The right is not absolute and only applies in certain circumstances.
- Right to Restriction of Processing: The right to request that your Personal Data is only used for restricted purposes.
- Right to Opt Out of Marketing: The right to unsubscribe or manage your marketing preferences.
- Right to Data Portability: The right to ask for the Personal Data you have made available to us to be transferred to you or a third party in machine-readable format.
- Right to Report to a Data Protection Authority about Our Collection and Use of Your Personal Data: You have a right to report to a Data Protection Authority any concern you have regarding a Controller’s use of your Personal Data. Independent public authorities that supervise, through investigative and corrective powers, the application of the data protection law. For more information on how to report to a data protection authority, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Union are available here.
- Right to Withdraw Consent: The right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us to handle your Personal Data.
These rights are not absolute and they do not always apply in all cases.
- How to exercise your legal rights
We will respond to all requests that we receive from individuals or members who wish to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. If you have any questions about your legal rights, please follow the instructions in number 11 below. You may exercise your legal rights as explained below.
- Right of Subject Access: If you would like to have access to Personal Data you have provided to us, please contact us following the instructions in number 11 below.
- Right to Rectification: If you would like to have inaccurate information about your Personal Data corrected or removed, please contact us following the instructions in number 11 below.
- Right to Erasure ('Right to Be Forgotten'): If you would like to have certain Personal Data about you erased, please contact us following the instructions in number 11 below.
- Right to Restriction of Processing: If you would like to request that your Personal Data is only used for restricted purposes, please contact us following the instructions in number 11 below.
- Right to Opt Out of Marketing: If you would like to manage your marketing preferences, you may utilize unsubscribe links found in the communications you receive from us or by visiting the applicable preference center. If you have further questions about your right to opt out of marketing, please contact us following the instructions in number 11 below.
- Right to Data Portability: If you would like to ask for the Personal Data you have made available to us to be transferred to you or a third-party in machine-readable format, please contact us following the instructions in number 11 below.
- Right to Report to a Data Protection Authority about Our collection and Use of Your Personal Data: If you would like to make a report to report to a Data Protection Authority, please contact your local Data Protection Authority. Contact details for Data Protection Authorities in the European Union are available here.
- Right to Withdraw Consent: If you would like to withdraw any consent you have previously given us to handle your Personal Data, please contact us following the instructions in number 11 below. If you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of our use of your Personal Data prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
In response to a request, we will ask you to verify your identity if we need to, and to provide information that helps us to understand your request better. If we do not comply with your request, whether in whole or in part, we will explain why.
Please be aware that if you choose not to share your Personal Data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we may be unable to provide the products and services you have requested.
- How to contact EEI about your privacy
If you need additional help, please contact us.